In 1996, I was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. This blog is a way to share my story, and how I used the power of hope to overcome my illness.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Beginning: Part 2

Once we got to the hospital, we were directed to Clinic H where my parents and I were told to wait in a room for the doctor while the other's waited outside.  A few minutes later, the doctor came in and went straight to the point and explained what was going to happen.  I never had surgery before so that part didn't scare me but what made me cry was the thought of losing my hair.  That night I stayed at the hospital resting up for my first surgery the next morning.  Early that morning, while I was still in my bed, I was wheeled down to a waiting area where I saw a few other families waiting for their child to go into surgery.  I sat there as my parents talked to me, comforted me.  The next thing I knew, I was being rolled into the surgery room.  A woman came to my side, the anesthesiologist; she put a mask over my face and asked me to count down from ten.  I started to feel drowsy but I heard her ask me a question.  I  distinctly remember her asking me if I saw something flying.  My answer was slurred.  I couldn't even understand what I was saying, and within seconds I was out like a light.


When I woke up in the ICU ( Intensive Care Unit) I was obviously cranky and in pain.  I immediately got scared and asked where my family was.  The nurse told me they were there before but because I had been asleep for so long they decided to get some lunch.  After a while, the nurses thought I was ready to leave and I was brought to a room.  Man was it bad.  It was small, and the only thing you could see out the window was the building next door.  By the 8th I got to go home for the day, and when we got there, I just plopped myself down on the chair.  I remember looking around thinking everything in the house looked weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment